Sunday, September 19, 2010

Inspiring the muse

Eye candy. Yes, my friends, that's what this blog post will be all about. Specifically, the eye candy that we writers often have to wade through on the internet or magazines to inspire our muses to create one of our favorite things in this world. Okay, my favorite thing in this world. Hunky heroes. It used to be that I didn't so much rely on pictures. I just sort of visualized what they looked like in my head and that was that. But all that changed once I became published. Or more specifically, after having to turn in my first cover art request. I quickly found out that providing the artist with an image worked so much better than just giving some vague description that didn't really give them much to work with. And in the process I learned something.

I really am a visual writer. Who would have thunk it? So now I routinely gather up an image of my heroes and heroines right around the time I'm putting together the soundtrack for the book. And it really does help me to get inside that character better.

So I thought I'd post the two hubba hubbas who inspired my naughty pookas in Vanessa Unveiled. Without further ado, I present:

Rand Quinlan


The only thing missing from this guy to make him an absolute Rand look-a-like are the clan tattoos on his shoulder, but other than that...ooh, mama! There's even a beach scene in the book which fits in perfectly with this picture. Of course, the jeans would have to be missing to make it truly authentic. ;)

Braeden Whyndham



In my head, Braeden's hair is a little longer and shaggier than this guy's, but still definitely a dead ringer for my pooka. And those eyes, talk about hot and intense. And the chest and abs aren't too shabby either.

I also have an image of Vanessa too, but lets face it, it's the hunks that you really wanted to check out. Lol. I think later this week I'll do a post with the two hunks that inspired Griff and Logan from That Voodoo You Do. For those of you who watch Supernatural and True Blood, you might recognize some familiar faces.

2 comments:

Ava March said...

Loved how you added the qualifier 'have to wade through'. You make oggling man-candy sound almost like work. LOL.

Very nice choices for Rand and Braeden!!

Jodi Redford said...

Hi Ava!

Come on now, it's tough work! Really, the lengths we artist have to suffer in the name of research. Lol.