Sunday, October 18, 2009

Series

I've come to realize that it's impossible for me to write a book without reaching some point in the process--typically the middle or so--and having the ole muse decide she wants to create at least a couple(or five) more books in this world. Now, this would all be hunky dory if I knew it from the start and plotted accordingly, but my muse is like the obnoxious drunk who stumbles in twenty minutes before the bartender announces last call. For those wondering, usually she's partial to mojitos. With a tequila chaser. Any who... All this naturally got me to wondering how many other authors fall into their series by default, or are disciplined enough to (gasp and shudder!) outline their entire series before writing a single word. I can definitely see the benefit in knowing everything up front, but at the same time, so much of the story magic comes when I'm racing headfirst into the unknown, right along with my characters. So for now, I'll stick to trusting my muse. She hasn't yet backed me into a plot hole that I couldn't climb out of.

Not to mention she knows how to make a mean mojito.

No comments: